- 1kg potatoes thinly sliced (3mm (1/8″) thick – use a mandolin for best results)
- 1 small onion thinly sliced
- 3 tbs butter
- 3 tbs flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk heated
- 1 tbs paprika + more as needed
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Top
1, 1/2 cups cheddar cheese (you could a little parmesan as well for extra flavour)
- Preheat oven to 180c.
- Rinse and dry the sliced potatoes and onions. Set them aside.
- Make the Creamy Sauce. Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the flour to form a paste like consistency and cook for 2 minutes. (don’t let it brown)
- Add the warmed milk, stirring, until the mixture thickens, enough so the sauce coats a spoon.
- Cheese Option: If you’d like a cheesy version, stir in 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese until mixed through.
- Bring to a boil and add the paprika, garlic powder, cayenne, and salt and pepper. Lower the heat and cook 2-3 minutes longer, stirring. Remove from heat.
- Layer a lightly oiled baking dish approx 20cm square with half the potatoes, then half the onions. Cover with half the bechamel (creamy sauce).
- Top with remaining potatoes, then onions, then remaining bechamel. Sprinkle with extra paprika and cayenne if desired for colour.
- Cheese Option: If using cheese, sprinkle remaining ½ cup shredded cheese over the top.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the cover and bake another 30-40 minutes, or until bubbly and the potatoes are tender to your liking.
- A little sprinkle of crushed chilli makes a nice touch on top and adds a spicy kick.
credit to: Chilli Pepper Madness for another fantastic recipe and pic.