- Mon-Fri: 9am - 3:30pm
- 07 5525 2555
Mexican Tortilla Cake
This is one seriously loaded OMG Tortilla stack, you could feed a party with this epic dish.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 1 yellow capsicum, diced
- 1 small spanish onion, diced
- 200ml Cobra Chilli Tijuana Tango Chilli Sauce
- 600ml prepared tomato-based pasta sauce or Passata
- 600g cooked kidney beans or cannellini beans, drained
- ½ bunch fresh chives, finely chopped
- 600g cooked mince or cooked brown lentils, drained
- ½ bunch fresh coriander leaves, rough chopped
- ½ cup grated Mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup grated Gruyere cheese
- ½ cup grated Tasty cheese
- 1 cup chopped Parsley
- 6 x 20cm flour tortillas
- 1 cup plain yoghurt or sour cream
- Extra coriander leaves for garnish
Heat olive oil, add cumin and chilli powder, sauté for one minute until fragrant. Add the red and yellow diced capsicum, diced Spanish onion and sauté another 5 minutes until vegetables are soft.
Add the Tomato-based pasta sauce, Cobra Chilli Tijuana Tango Chilli Sauce and simmer for 10 minutes until the mixture has reduced slightly, then divide the mixture evenly between two bowls. Add the beans and chives to one bowl of sauce and add the cooked mince/lentils and coriander to the remaining bowl of sauce.
Put the three cheeses in a bowl and add the parsley, mix well.
Line a 20cm springform cake tin with foil, making sure there is plenty of overhang all around, then lightly grease the foil with spray oil.
Place one tortilla on the base of the cake tin and top with 1/3 of the meat/lentil mix and sprinkle with 1/6 of the cheese/parsley mix. Add another tortilla, press down to compact each layer and top with 1/2 of the bean mix and sprinkle with 1/6 of the cheese/parsley mix. Continue with the layers in this fashion until all the tortillas, sauces and cheeses have been used, ending the last 1/6 of cheese on top.
Bring the sides of the foil up and over to seal over the cake and bake for 30 minutes. Then open the foil to leave the cheese exposed and bake for a further 10 minutes.
Allow cake to cool in the tin. Once cooled, remove the tin and place on a platter. Serve warm or at room temperature, garnished with yogurt or sour cream, coriander and Cobra Chilli Tijuana Tango Chilli Sauce.