General Tso’s Chicken
General Tso’s chicken isn’t meant to be overly spicy, the sauce offers some sweetness with just a bit of heat coming through. Of course, the chilli die-hards can up the heat factor with more sauce or chilli.
- 3 tbspn light soy sauce
- 3 tbspn honey
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbspn rice vinegar
- 1-2 tbspn Garlic Habanero Chilli Sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken stock/broth
- 2 tspns cornstarch
- 1kg cubed chicken thigh
- Salt and Pepper to season
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tbspn vegetable oil
- 2 hot chilli (thai peppers are good for this)
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 2 tspns minced ginger
- 6 shallots/scallions chopped
- 1 finely sliced capsicum
To garnish: fresh chopped scallions, sesame seeds, chilli flakes, finely sliced capsicum
- Whisk together the soy sauce, honey, rice vinegar, chilli sauce, chicken stock and cornstarch in a medium bowl, set aside.
- Toss the chicken pieces in a bowl with cornstarch, S&P and evenly coat each piece.
- Heat the oil in a large pan to high heat and swirl the oil to cover the pan, add the chicken and cook for 4-5 mins until seared/brown.
- When the chicken is nearly cooked, remove from the pan and set it aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the chilli, capsicum, garlic, ginger, and scallions, stir fry for 30 seconds
- Now add the rerserved sauce and chicken back in the pan and bring to a simmer, toss to combine and cook another 2 minutes or until the chicken is completely cooked through.
- Garnish and serve with rice.
credit to: Mike from chillipeppermadness.com