- OPEN: Mon-Sat
- 07 5525 2555
Hungarian Spicy Chicken Paprika
This Hungarian chicken paprikash recipe is authentic and easy to make, with seared chicken simmered and served in creamy paprika sauce.
- 1 tablespoon butter or use olive oil
- 1 kg bone-in chicken pieces I used thighs for this recipe, skin on (or 4 big pieces)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper chopped (optional, for more spice factor)
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 3 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon hot paprika or use cayenne powder
- 1 tin 425gm peeled or crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup sour cream room temperature – or use yoghurt or heavy cream
- FOR SERVING: sprinkle over Congo B Pepper sauce and fresh chopped parsley
- SERVES 4
- Heat the butter or oil in a large pan.
- Pat the chicken dry, then season with salt and pepper. Sear the chicken 4-5 minutes per side, allowing the fat to render and the skin to brown. Remove the chicken and set it aside for now.
- Drain some of the fat from the pan, leaving about a tablespoon. Add the onion and peppers. Stir to get all those flavorful brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Cook for 5 minutes to soften.
- Add the garlic, paprika, hot paprika and salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring, for one minute.
- Add the tomato and stir to incorporate.
- Add the chicken back to the pan. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from heat. Remove the chicken and swirl in the sour cream a bit at a time until it is fully incorporated. Adjust with salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken back to the pan and spoon the sauce over the chicken pieces. Heat a bit more if needed.
- Garnish with Congo B pepper sauce, parsley and serve!
Credit to https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/ for this great recipe Thanks Mike!